Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sherlock Holmes


Here are a few observations I've made.

While riding the bus today, I suddenly realized that when the bus jerked to a halt, everyone's head bobbed in unison. I thought it was funny.

Sometimes, there is nowhere to sit on the bus. So I stand and hold onto one of the plastic rings. I imagine I'm surfing.

Today, I scared one of the secretaries for the second time. I usually try and come to work a little early. I walked around the corner and she wasn't expecting anybody so she jumped and gave a little squeak. Am I a bad person because I chuckled inside?

I walked through the snow the other day and really enjoyed the "pop" sound every time I stepped. I intentionally began walking in fresh snow just so I could hear that satisfying sound.

I bought some strawberries from a street vendor and gave them to my treasured speaking class.

The kids stumbled upon my journal. At first, they thought that they'd hit the jackpot. Then they realized that I wrote in cursive. It might as well be another language too them. They were sad. It reminded me of when I was a child. My parents would write a list of the Christmas gifts they were going to get me. Then they'd stick it on the refrigerator... Problem for me was that it was written in cursive. I vowed I would learn cursive before the next Christmas. Unfortunately, my parents wised-up and stopped taping the list to the fridge. But I'm pretty sure that's why I prefer to use cursive to this day.

I ran out of stickers to give to kids who get 100 percent on their tests. So now I do origami for them. Ninja stars for the boys and flowers for the girls. I'm sure my little sister, Jenna, would ask for a ninja star though.

My student Annie is a Harry Potter fanatic. She claims he is her boyfriend. Someday, maybe I'll have the heart to tell her that he's not real.

Today, in the middle of class, my student Mark yelled, "He is dirty!" I glanced over just in time to watch Daniel pull a big one from his nose and flick it at John2. I think I almost wet myself, it was so funny.

There is a machine that yells at me every morning as I walk to school. It is some sort of game... I think you're supposed to punch it or something.

Today, I walked through the middle of 4 white doves. I have never seen them before. My first thought was that they must have escaped from a magician... then I realized God must have sent them to let me know I was blessed or something (and I probably shouldn't try and kick them). I almost busted out the camera, but after careful consideration, decided this was something I just couldn't photograph.

The lady at "Isaac's" (a sandwhich shop) is very friendly and is trying to teach me. She tells me the Korean name for things... I'm not a very good student... I don't think I've really learned anything from her yet. On a side note, I think she might be a Christian. There is a Bible verse on the wall printed in Korean and English.

Rice wine, some light food, a round table, and a couple of friends makes for some deep, thoughtful conversation.

I have always trusted in my parents advice, and I will continue to do so. However, today I realized that I've entered a place where my parents have never been. At my age, my father was married and had a kid (if I did my math right). Does that mean that from this point on, it will be difficult for them to understand me? (did they ever understand me?) Before, they could always say, "Been there, done that, here's what I learned."


My surfboard.


Rice wine and a side order of deep conversation.





A wiseman once said, "Leave behind all these boys' philosophies - these over simple answers." (Lewis)

2 comments:

Bethany Bylsma said...

i miss you.
it's so good. SO good to have dane here.
i miss your stories, so when i read your blog, I just imagine you telling me in person, in our magical fairy-lit living room.

last night dane, amanda and I made big fatty ice-cream goodness in the living room. chocolate chips, sprinkles, marshmellows, chocolate syrup and caramel.
wish you had been there.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

We just got the address to your blog yesterday. Jen and I sat down and caught up on all of your posts. Looking forward to more!

~C