Monday, February 5, 2007

Goodbye... for now.


It's hard when you know your friends are in pain and there is nothing you can do about it. The words "I'll be praying" echo through my head. It seems so pathetic... yet when I step back and honestly think about it... it is the most powerful thing imaginable. "Ask and I will answer," God says. Wow, ryan, with that much power you better be sure about what you're asking.

What will I be praying? For whatever is best for my friends? What if the answer means the best for them is to let go... say good bye? Am I okay with that? I wish I could understand, but I don't understand... I merely attempt to trust.


The intensive session has reached completion. I said goodbye to my students (most of them I will see again this next session). I will be teaching some tough classes coming up. In fact, I've been given virtually all the upper level reading classes. According to the boss, these are the most intense classes and are given to people who they feel can handle them. I am flattered. I am also a little skeptical... it's always hard to tell when a Korean is honestly complimenting you.

We've lost some teachers and gained some new ones. I am no longer the "newbie". However, I am still the youngest employee at Ewha.

Went to Seoul Saturday night. Let me sum it up for you: A cup of coffee, the most foreigners I've ever seen at one time in Korea (mostly US military), an Irish girl, helping out a friend with an unwanted "suitor", origami, some good talks, and the taxi ride home. There you have it.

Here are some pics I snapped in the last couple days...

I only let the students write on the board if they remove their shoes, stand on a chair, and give me chocolate (i'm just kidding).


There's something about this photo... I don't know, I just can't explain it.


After I drank some of this stuff, I became a super-human teacher and a ninja. I'll bottle some and send it home for my sister (and Steven too, if he promises to use his power wisely).



My oregonian instincts directed me to this coffee place. I had some chai and thought of B. (I admit, I enjoy the funny looks I get when people see me taking pictures of myself.)


I need a haircut, but Jay helped me look cool despite the shag.

Andy, as you can see, is a solid rock man in this class of girls.


Mark, fierce warrior of the Ewha army.


Nancy and Sally. The girls that carry my books and walk me back from class. The other day I caught them passing notes. I asked Kate, one of the Korean teachers, to translate it for me... it said, "sorry I didn't sit by you today, amy. I will sit with you tomorrow." (B, I didn't think it could be done, but I have to say that Nancy may have you beat in the pouty face department)



A wiseman once said,"Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we missed you.
we miss you.
i couldn't sleep very well last night. called nic, talked to his voice mail. wanted to call you. wishing we were together as a family again. wondering when that will happen. I told Dane I was going to have a PCWB room in my home in heaven and it would be all dance parties and scene-it and awesome.
and we wouldn't have to cry together anymore.

miss you. lots. wish i could hang out and chat. love your pictures. love you.

Unknown said...

You'll let me do your wedding invitations? I'm so honored!

(I realize this is so out of context - hopefully many interesting conversations will be the result.)