Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Sitting in Silence


Got a phone call today at work. The other teacher's were jealous. I wonder if they would still be jealous if they knew what it was about.

It was a call filled with joy and sadness. I listened to two voices that I hold dear. But the words they had for me were few and somber.

They told me a man I call my brother has lost his wife. And she has found eternity.

The three of us sat in silence for a few seconds. I whispered, "I don't know what to say." "Neither do we," I heard. So we sat. And I think the silence was more meaningful than any words. It didn't matter what they said or didn't say. The fact that they had taken time to call me at midnight and just be there, mattered.

What can I say to my brother? I'm sure anything I could come up with has been said already. I want to be there. Slap him on the back, even though I know he hates to be touched. Especially because he hates to be touched. I want to shout, why? they're so young... I want to cry for him... I do cry for him. But I can't ask why, I can only ask, what now? I have no words. So I will sit... sit with you, my brother, in silence... know that I am here.





A wiseman once said, ... nothing... he said nothing...