Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Museum


It's the new year celebration here, which is like our Christmas. Everyone leaves the big city and heads out to the country. Huge family gatherings take place. (Everyone buys fruit and takes it to their families.)

I decided to check out the National Museum. I accidentally took the subway going the opposite direction I wanted. So I got off to switch trains... and discovered a ghost town. A ghost tube rather. It was very strange. I'd gotten so used to the crowds. The pushing. The shoving. The lack of eye-contact. A complete absence of life was a bit eerie.

In the museum, I watched a little boy hide from his mom. He saw me watching and made the universal "shhhh" signal. Clearly, I was expected to keep quiet and avoid blowing his cover.

A little girl dressed in a beautiful ancient Korean dress, displayed her attachment to technology, when the lights on her shoes suddenly flashed.

I felt very brave today. Venturing into Seoul by myself. Traveling the subways by myself. Visiting the museum by myself. Eating a sandwhich from Isaac's by myself. It's a strange feeling, being the only white English speaking person in sight. I admit, I felt very alone in the midst of hundreds of people.

I'm in that introspective mood again. And I need solitude and silence. I need to write and talk with God.


Mom and Dad having way too much fun.













A wiseman once said, "I must go."

4 comments:

Father Dane said...

Crazy feeling to be alone huh? But then again it lets you take a step away from yourself and think. Sometimes, if I let it, fear worms his way in and trys to take over. Thats only if I let him...

Mandipants said...

did you get to talk to God?
did you ever go to sleep?
what're you reading?
didn't learn anything at church for you... other than, sometimes you should trust the gut feeling of "go back to bed"... but not always- or you'd never get anything accomplished...

love you

Anonymous said...

poop on phones.
poop on technology.
and even though you couldn't hear us...we heard you...and laughed at you talking to yourself and your computer. :-)
HUGS!

Mandipants said...

"A wise man once said, 'I must go [to Alaska]'."