Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bits and Pieces


I often receive small gifts from my students. A wrapped chocolate (or sometimes an unwrapped chocolate). An orange. A donut. A cracker. It's sort of silly, but I think it's cool.


I feel very comfortable here. When I enter shops or stores and find a communication barrier, I don't feel flustered or embarassed. I simply grin and shrug. Somehow, things always seem to work out.


Today, I accidentally made a little mistake. I wrote down some students' names using a red pen and they started whispering and giggling. They started saying, "Teacher write bad!" I said, "What are you talking about? My handwriting is excellent." I then learned that if you write a person's name in red, it means they are dead or will die. It's bad luck. The kids quickly put a black pen in my hand and asked me to write over their names.


At my school, there are a total of six foreign teachers and three Korean teachers. The Korean teachers teach grammar, because it is easier to teach English grammar if one speaks Korean.


When I give or receive something, I must use two hands. If I am unable to grab the object with two hands, I must place my free hand on the elbow of the arm that is taking the object (I know it sounds confusing, but it's really quite simple). This is a sign of respect.


Koreans rarely smile in public (I can't even recall a time I saw a Korean laugh in public).


Koreans cannot be friends unless they are the same age. If there is an age difference, Koreans call each other "older brother, younger brother, older sister, or younger sister". They would not use the word friend.


The Korean teachers, Jean, and my flatmate John.


It snowed for two days. Then most of it melted.


I'm working on my sneaky candid shots. I took this photo by hiding my camera in my jacket. Not bad, eh?



A wiseman once said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
And Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

1 comment:

Bethany Bylsma said...

i love reading your thoughts. and i love your pictures. and sometimes i hear a motercycle drive by here, and i think its you...but its not. :-)
i'm glad things are going well. you are missed, loved and prayed for!