Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Entertainer


I might just change my name to "Ryan the Entertainer" (said with a loud echoing voice).

I have come up with some of the dumbest tricks to help kids focus. And to break up the monotony for them.

Juggling has made me a hero. I get requests to juggle from kids I don't even know. I use it as a bribe... "If you work hard today, I will juggle for the last 5 minutes of class." It works like a charm.

I also do crazy human tricks... like making my arm look like it's broken. Sometimes I act silly... I sing the words in the book instead of reading them, or I read at hyper speed (one class in particular finds this highly amusing).

Today, I tried something new for my two "flexible" conversation classes. I hooked my ipod up to some speakers and played parts of 12 different songs from various genres. I asked the students to write down how they felt and what they thought about during each song. Tomorrow, they will answer some related questions for their interviews.

I have also created a popular blindfold game (I mean "special test") that helps students learn how to give directions and use complete sentences. I also use a number of other modified initiatives I learned while facilitating. (All of these I call "special tests").

One of these days, I just know I'm going to get caught... but I will push my luck as long as possible. It's so strange when you find yourself checking the window before you begin an activity. It feels like I'm breaking some rule (which I am), when I'm really just being creative and helping the students focus and learn in a different way.

Sally and Nancy (basically third graders) continue to carry my books for me. I'm approximately 20 steps away from their classroom, but they insist on helping me. Their young class is one of my most difficult and exciting.

Corporal punishment is allowed here. I never plan to use it. I believe there are much more effective ways to manage a child. Some of the teachers don't agree with me. If a student is behaving badly, they will force him to stand in front of the class with his hands held over his head for several minutes, or do pushups, or wall sits. Maybe I'm just an old softy.

Jean said today, "The kids are always touching you. That is very good. It means they like you. They want to be intimate." Ummm.. I guess that is a good thing, right?

Why is receiving compliments such a difficult thing? How does a person balance humility and confidence? Is it okay to receive praise?


A wiseman once said, "A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever he turns, he succeeds."

3 comments:

katie said...

oh man! i wish i had class with you. my professors never play games. except this one time when we had to stomp on each other's feet... that wasn't fun, don't play that game. it's good to hear that things are going well for you! blessings friend

Mandipants said...

initiatives... ohhh yay!

and rule breaking... it all sounds magical :)

Miss You!!

Father Dane said...

Rybread...Sounds like you are making a difference in the lives of children thousands of miles away. You encourage me with your life my friend. Even from thousands of miles away.