Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Change and Trust


For the final essay topic, in the other writing class I teach, I asked,
"If you could change anything about yourself, what would you change?"

Many children wanted to be better at studying, others didn't want to have to wear glasses, others wanted to be funny, some wanted to be more positive and magnanimous, but the majority (all girls) wanted to be more beautiful.

Why? Why do we struggle to love ourselves? How do you tell a little Korean girl that a warm, loving spirit is a hundred, a thousand, a million times more beautiful than a pretty face? How do you tell her that God thinks she's a precious jewel?

In my interview class, I asked the girls to describe the man they wanted to marry someday. Their list went like this: 1.rich 2.smart (because then he'll become rich) 3.handsome 4.big house...

During the interviews, I was pulled out of my depressed state (because of this sad list) when Mickey said "I must be able to trust him." Upon further questioning, I learned that she had spoken with her mom about my question. Her mom had written an answer (in Korean), Mickey had translated it into English, and then Mickey used it in her interview. That made me glad.

Trust. I wish that was number one on all their lists. I pray they learn to trust God... and that they someday meet a man who they can trust.

Here is an essay from my writing class...

If I could be change anything about myself, I would be change me.

There are two reasons about it. First, nowdays, most korean appraise about shape. But I am not satisfied myself. I am not satisfied appearance, personality, brain, weight, height etc. There are so many things that I am not satisfied. I think my face is ugly, heavy, short, my brain is very bad. I don't like it. I want to be pretty, tall, thin and smart. And I am very weak. I often have colds. It is very pain. I want to be strong.

Second, if I am pretty, tall, thin and smart, they are envy me, I think it will be very happy, because many people interest about me.

So if I could change about myself, I could be change me. Because nowdays, most korean appraise about shape and many people are envy me.

--Jenny





A wiseman once said, "A wife of noble character who can find?"..."Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."