Monday, January 29, 2007

Friendly debate with Myself


Have you ever had an argument with yourself? Well, sometimes I think about questions people might ask me. Then I try and figure out how I might answer. Last night, before I finally drifted off to sleep, this is what went through my mind.

(anti-me) Give me one good reason why I should believe in God?

(me) Give me one good reason why I should not believe in God?

(anti-me) That's easy. Poverty. If there was really a God, he would fix poverty.

(me) What if I told you he already has? He's cured a poverty of the soul, the spirit, the inner-man. Physical poverty is simply a symptom of our spiritual poverty. If you don't accept the cure, then you will will never be healed. Until the whole world chooses to accept the cure, the symptom of physical poverty will continue to exist.


A wiseman, the Son of God, once said, "You will always have the poor..."
He also said, "Whatever you do to the least of these, you do to me."

2 comments:

Father Dane said...

Did anti-me ever have a comeback, or did you fall asleep aftet that? lol. My grandma once said something to the effect of..."Jesus said that we will always have the poor and it has been proven given what we have seen in life, so I dont see why we cant spend some money on the church itself and make it look nice."

What do you think?

April said...

I had this conversation with a student in Vietnam, but I fear much was lost in the translation. I learned a lot though. What if God actually has 'solved' world poverty (in the greatest commandment for ex), just because of our falleness and resulting disobedience, the world remains in a state of poverty. Therefore, poverty wont go away until perfect love reigns. Hm... pondering.