Tuesday, January 2, 2007

1st Day Edumacatin'

I have survived my first day of teaching. In all, I taught a total of nine classes over approximately 12 hours. Somehow, I just happened to make it here in time for the "intensive" term. The children in each class were very well behaved (probably because they were afraid of my iron fist of fury). I actually wasn't stressed at all and each successive class got better. Oh yeah, the students stay in the same classroom all day and we teachers rotate around.


Each child goes by an "English" name in the classroom. The children themselves or some teacher in the past have selected the names. In one class there was a girl named Pinky. In another class there is a Dragon and a Raphael. There seem to be hundreds of Kevins, Brians, Lucys, Cindys, and Jennys. It's difficult to remember names when so many are the same. Koreans have trouble saying "r's" so my name has become "Lyan" or "Lion". Some of the goofier kids say "Teecha Lion" and then they make a roaring sound.


Appearance is everything here. I was asked to shave so I would look younger, and I am required to wear dress clothes (like a real job, crazy eh?). I was told by my Korean bosses that I am "pretty" and will bring in lots of new students. Honestly, in a hogwan (private school) they don't care if the students learn anything. It's all about raking in the money and appearing to be very prestigious. It is a very strange experience to be a "poster boy" for this school. To be paraded around anytime there is a prospective student.


Teaching in the classroom is very strict. However, the other teachers have filled me in on a few things not told to me by my Korean boss. I feel like I'm part of some kind of underground rebel force. We are absolutely forbidden to play games with the children (like hangman, or pictionary). The teachers tell me that they covertly play games anyway, but they are careful to instruct the kids not to tell their parents or the Korean teachers or else the games will stop. It's a bit wild. The kids really only learn if we secretly bend the rules a bit and put extra stuff into the program.


Something crazy I learned the other day:

Jean (the head korean teacher) has a little girl, but because Jean works so hard at the school she can't take care of her. Instead, Jean's mother takes care of the baby. Jean sees her little girl two times a month. When I showed her pictures of my sister Jenna, she said it made her sad and that was when she told me about her situation. She would like to own an English academy someday, but that takes a lot of work, which keeps her away from her child.


I continue to read Augustine and Miller (Donald Miller, "Blue Like Jazz") in my free time. Augustine is thick stuff and is slow going, but very interesting. Grace and Peace to you my friends.


Jean (the head teacher/manager)

Hallway of Classrooms (the school is on the 6th floor of a large building)


An average classroom


Teacher's lounge/desks


My desk (right under the heating vent, my papers are always blowing off)


Atom (he is the copy boy. His sole job is making copies.)

1 comment:

Kia said...

Hey buddy, it's good to read your blog and hear that you are doing well! So you're the pretty boy, eh? You should post a picture of yourself in your work clothes- I'm having trouble picturing a suit on you. :-P
Good luck with the teaching and let me know if there's anything specific I can pray for!