Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Why?


Today, my fellow teacher, John, asked one of the Korean teachers what she believed. She replied, "I am a Christian." John then asked her, "Why?" To which she didn't answer.


I started to think... What would my answer be? And why do these basic questions stump me over and over again?

Shouldn't I have a convincing two or three sentence response by now? That's when I realized why I didn't have an instant answer...


My Answer:
Do you truly have time to hear about the WHY of my belief? Are you willing to sit for awhile? Are you willing to learn about me? Because my answer is my life. The people I've met. The experiences I've lived through. Evidence for God's existence began as a single snowflake and grew into an avalanche. I have no simple answer. I know only that God is, and forever will be, a mystery. "And He cares for me as though I am the only one, and He cares for you in the same manner" (paraphrased, Augustine).



Andy, Erick, Shawn


Christine


Kate and ... others


Annie and Cindy


John and Nancy


Jay


God once said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ryan, your Blog is a blessing to me, hearing you heart and all. You definitely have the cutest kids in all of South Korea! (not that I would know)

Keep on keepin on brother. You are a Man of God (song reference!) who follows his heart with passion and boldness (even though you may not feel like it all the time). I, and many others, are praying for you. Peace.