Friday, October 31, 2008

A Korean Halloween


The costumes were amazing. In my class we had... a cowboy, a princess, a power ranger, The President, and Jake.

Jake was a special case. He had no costume. He wore his everyday clothes. When asked by other kids, he quickly responded... "I'm a B-boy." and then he would do a break dance move. (In Korea, break dancers are called "B-boys"). Later a wizard outfit appeared out of nowhere for him... I think my Korean co-teacher got it from somewhere. I only had five students today... and Jake was the only one whose mom didn't come. She's an important lawyer and I think is pretty busy. But it was still kind of a bummer.

I wore the old Korean high school uniform. Almost all the teachers wore costumes. I wonder if you can learn something about a person's personality based on their costume choice?

It was raining, so we couldn't do the planned apartment to apartment trick or treating... but all the moms came to the building lobby and the kids ran around to them getting candy. It seemed the moms were competing to see who could give out the best candy. My students made a major haul. It was great... when we got back to the classroom... they said... "my mom said I can only eat a few. Two is all you can eat, right, Ryan? If you eat more than that your teeth fall out, right, Ryan Teacher."

I was also asked a very important question... "Ryan teacher, can ghosts go into black holes, because Jake says they can?"


























1 comment:

HektikLyfe said...

Those are some elaborate costumes! Wow. I sure would have liked to have those as a kid!