Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kids and the funny things they say and do...


***These quotes are from seven year old Korean students who speak English as their second language.***

"I love Joeng-eun teacher. Do you know why? Because she's so beautiful. When I grow up, I'm gonna marry Joeng-eun teacher." - James

"Jimmy, what would you do if God said, 'Make a rocket ship, I'm gonna do a flood.' " - James
"I'd make it out of legos." - Jimmy
"But the boosters would melt the legos!" - Jake

One of the Korean teachers is always bothering my student Jay and asking him to marry her. Jay, smart boy that he is, always runs away. One day I asked, "Why don't you want to marry her?" Jay replied, "She will be a grandma!"

Jake opened up his math book to a particularly difficult section and said with an innocent voice, "What the hell!" We had to have a talk about how that isn't a "good" expression.

On a very windy day, a boy dropped his umbrella and it blew away... I'm sad to admit it... but a 4 year old and I laughed our heads off as the boy frantically chased after it.

I don't know why this works... but I created this rule for gym class... if a student is being too noisy (i. e. screaming) and I say "Green hamburgers" then that means the student must sit down and count to 30 before he can play again. The noise problem vanished.

"Jimmy, did you fart?" - James
"Yeah." - Jimmy
"Then you gotta wave it away like this." (makes fanning motion) - James
(Jimmy copies fanning motion)

"What will you do if you don't want to die?" - Jihan
"What about you, Jihan, what will you do?" - Me
"I will become 19 and then not grow up." - Jihan

"Oma, will you help...." - James
(Class laughing)
"It's okay James. I'm not your mom, but I'll help you." - Me
(Oma is Korean for "mommy")

"Tejun's mom is princess. Is pretty." - Albert
"What!!! Errrrrr!!!" -Tejun (very angry)
"Pretty is good word!" - Albert (defensively)

"I hate Egypt. It's very hot but there is a swimming pool." - Jihan
(Many of my students have traveled more of the world than most adults)

During lunch Jimmy put a spoonful of rice into his mouth and then sneezed... right into James' face... rice went everywhere.
"Sorry, James." - Jimmy
"Bad boy, Jimmy." - James

"Ryan Teacher, I can spell car without 'C' ." - Jake
"How?" - Me
"Like this..." - Jake
(proceeds to cover his eyes and write the word "car" without "see". the kid is hilarious.)


5 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

This stuff is classic! Any one of these can make your day and make you smile. I'm going to share them with my wife. She will enjoy them immensely.

Is there any particular reason why these kids have traveled the world? Do you teach rich kids or is it normal for Korean children to travel the world?

Iris said...

Awww man! These made my day! I love the things that kids say. You are very fortunate to be surrounded by their antics. Thank you so much for posting them. I hope you keep this up as a series. :)

Cristina Kalpa said...

"Ryan Teacher, I can spell car without 'C' ." - Jake
"How?" - Me
"Like this..." - Jake
(proceeds to cover his eyes and write the word "car" without "see". the kid is hilarious.)


AMAZING! I love this kind of stuff! Those kids sounds absolutely adorable :D

ryan said...

yes, i teach in a fairly rich area. most of my students have nannies... their parents are doctors, lawyers, teachers, and businessmen. just the other week a student of mine didn't come... I asked my Korean co-teacher where he was... she said "Hawaii".

iris, i will definitely try and keep this up. usually i collect the sayings over a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is hilarious. Smart kids. My favourite is the one with the lego rocket ship.