Thursday, October 9, 2008

Her first birthday


A Korean child's first birthday is very important. In recent times, it's been the fashion for parents to throw huge parties at special "baby's first birthday" banquet halls. I received a special invitation to one such party.

It was a little awkward being the only foreigner and not understanding anything that was being said, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity for a new experience.
(Strangely there were several bits of English... Like the "1st Birthday Party" sign)

During the amazing buffet dinner, the parents brought their little girl up front for some pictures and a special little custom. Several different objects were placed within her reach and what she chose was supposed to determine her future.

The items were (and are for every Korean's first birthday)...
-Money (she will become wealthy)
-A Computer Mouse (she will pursue some sort of tech job, which is a more recent addition to the items, I'm told)
-A doctor's hammer/stethoscope (she will become a doctor or serve people in some way)
-Pencils/Crayons (she will be a good student)
-A Microphone (she will be a movie or music star)
-And a ball of yarn (she will have a long life)

Jihyo chose the crayons. But her parents quickly requested a second go... this time with only one item... the money.

I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised. Korea has known utter poverty... and the memory of that poverty is what makes it the economic power it is today. Many Koreans have a life long goal of achieving monetary success.

This is nothing unusual... people everywhere want money... but here it seems to be pursued ruthlessly.

And it starts young. Ask most young American girls what kind of man they want... and many will say... "One that I love... One that I can trust... One that is handsome..." or something similar. A Korean girl will reply with... "One that has money... One that has a house... One that is smart so he can make money... One that has a car... One that is handsome... One that is kind." In that order. Of course, there are the exceptions as there always are, but we're talking a large majority. It saddens me that this is what their priorities look like.

On a happier note... I had a fun time. I always enjoy learning more about this different culture that surrounds me. I also said "Bon-gop-sem-nee-da" (nice to meet you) several dozen times without really knowing who I was meeting. Here are a couple photos I snapped. I didn't take many because I felt like I was intruding on the professional photo dude that was there.














3 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

WOW! That ice sculpture really tops it off. I was thinking they were very elegant even before I got to that. Great blog! They are improving by leaps and bounds!

One thing I must say to come to the defense of Korean women, not that I know any personally, but I think you must have known some pretty kind American girls.

Honestly, I don't think things are much different. The difference may only be in their brutal honesty. You ask teenage girls and they will say those exact same things because they haven't yet learned the talents they will use later in life to catch a man. Talents like seduction and deception. There are diamonds in the rough of course and if you are lucky enough to find one, like I have, then never let her go.

I have yet to meet a female, or male for that matter, that doesn't put finances somewhere near the top of their priorities.

Money is synonymous with survival after all in this capitalist world isn't it?

Just rambling...

ryan said...

yeah, I agree with you that most people put finances up high... and i thought about that while i was writing it... i struggled to put my exact thoughts down... so i tried to include the word "young" just to express how young that financial mindset is in place here. we're talking 10 - 13 year old students. i think korean children miss out on the fantasies of childhood...

they take intensive tests to enter special middle schools... their futures are determined almost from elementary school. they pursue the career their parents choose, for the most part. they learn the power of money so young. i wish they weren't burdened with it.

also... i'd say i'm an idealistic romantic... always looking for the good and dreaming. money not being a big priority. perhaps that makes me naive or foolish... but it also sure makes my life more enjoyable.

thanks for your ramble Hektiklyfe, always appreciated.

HektikLyfe said...

There is no shame in being a romantic guy. When you find a significant other that appreciates it you will be a very happy couple indeed.

I thought the parents were kidding about swapping the gifts. They were weren't they?