Saturday, December 13, 2008

NIght Wanderings and Wonderings...


I'm sick. Probably caught something from one of the kids... sometimes I think they cough in my face on purpose. :) But it comes with the territory. You work with kids. You get sick.

You know how sometimes when you're sick, you sleep all day, and then when it comes time to really sleep, you can't. Yep, that's me. It was 10pm... I couldn't sleep. I decided to go for a walk.

Walking at night is a special experience. You should try it if you haven't (as long as you live in a mostly safe neighborhood. being a guy also makes it a little safer).

There's something about walking at night that I love. Perhaps it's the stillness. The emptiness. The cool air.

A police car drove past me. I was carrying my camera tripod and camera over my shoulder. I wondered if I looked suspicious. It didn't stop. I was almost disappointed. It would have made a good story.

I saw a huge row of trees decorated with Christmas lights. As I set up my camera, I noticed an older man with a tripod and camera. He was taking pictures of a woman who I assume was his wife. I smiled and walked on. I didn't want to intrude on his shot.

I took a few photos at a new Christmas light location and noticed a couple standing in the middle of the walkway. They weren't talking. Just standing. Side by side. It looked strange. Suddenly all the lights in the area went out. Then I saw the cameras and crew. They were filming a movie. I don't know if it was anyone famous. But I snuck around the back and tried to take a few pictures.

Slowly made my way back to the apartment. I thought, perhaps I'll read a bit, drink some tea, and then feel tired.

But here I am, listening to "The Shins" and typing up a blog. Why share this trivial outing? I'm not sure. Maybe I hoped to inspire someone to take a walk. Maybe I needed to write about it, so I wouldn't forget it.

As I sit here... I look through the pages of my beat up, old journal. It's something I've written in sporadically over time. Something in it caught my eye. On one page, I wrote only four words: Don't waste your pain.

I must have been feeling deep that day. Even now, reading it makes me think. Makes me remember. Makes me think...











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your depth of thought..."don't waste your pain" was an encouragment to me : ) Thanks!

HektikLyfe said...

Love the first shot. I like night lit streets.

~equans