Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Birthday Museum


It was my birthday yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about being 25. It seems kinda old. I don't really feel old, but it sure sounds old when I say it.

My birthday was fun. Spent it doing various things and meeting with different people. It was actually kind of tiring. But good.

I got a total of 4 cakes. I think that's the most birthday cakes I've ever had. It feels good when you know people care. It makes me want to do the same for someone else.

These pics are from the National Museum of Korea. I went there on my birthday.

Before my friend and I went into the museum, we grabbed a bite to eat at the museum cafe. There were two little kids that were sitting next to us (about 5 years old). The boy was more courageous and tried out his English.

"Hi!" he said. I replied with, "Hello." He asked, "What's your name?"(in Korean). I told him Ryan and then asked, "What's your name?"(in English). To which he said, "I am happy!" Hmmm... So I asked him in Korean what his name was and he then said that his English name was Alex.

Alex and I talked a bit more... mostly in Korean. I learned his little friend was Allie. I asked if she was his little sister and she said she didn't know... so I'm assuming they're just friends. :) Alex had some funny questions like "Do you have enough money?" which he asked in Korean. Then he asked for my Korean name and I told him "sa-ja" (which means lion). He and the little girl busted up laughing at that. And it was really funny because they kept calling me "Adjushee" which basically means "Mister". I've never really been called that before.

My friend made a very thoughtful and complimentary statement at that point.

He said, "Children can usually tell if a person is bad or good very quickly. These two have decided you are a good person."

Am I good? I have my weaknesses and failings, just as everyone does. I want to be good. What does it mean to be good?...

I've made a goal to try and learn something new each day. We'll see how that goes.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Since you are in Korea it was really your 26th birthday. Glad you had a good birthday.

Chad

HektikLyfe said...

Happy belated birthday!

I hope you spent it well and spend your holidays surrounded by dear friends and loved ones too.