Monday, April 16, 2007

Tricks up my Sleeve


I decided to try some experimental ideas in my speaking classes...

[1]complete the sentence survey.
The students filled in the blanks. For example: "Tomorrow I will..., I love..., People say I'm..., I wish..." Each student read their responses and then the class would ask questions to get more details. This excercise was extremely successful and helped the students practice asking and answering questions.

[2]on the spot speech.
I filled a bag with pieces of paper. On the paper were various words. Each student randomly selected two words and then had to speak about those words for 45 seconds.

[3]For my elementary class, I changed things up a bit.
I played a version of Taboo using the bag of words. Each girl had a minute to try and describe three words. If the other girls could guess (figure out) three words before the minute was up then they would get a point.

I said that if they got ten points, I'd buy them choco-pies.
.
.
.
I have to buy them choco-pies.


Bona

Tony (I asked him to make a silly face)

Willie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...look at those sweet little faces : )

Mandipants said...

it wasn't preachy :)

Thanks for the encouragement- it just hard to be facing the change, I know it'll be better once it's past.

I think you've found your calling Ryan- teaching suits you well on a number of levels.

Grace and peace my friend- hope we can catch up soon. love you!

Ginny said...

I love it. I need to come up with some tricks up my sleeve...45 second speech on Mexican politics? Hmm...we definitely need some choco-pies too...

Anonymous said...

hi사자~~www.cyworld.com/neverland1206
address has been changed~you don't need to sign on~

Bethany Bylsma said...

willie.
oh dear.
what a face.