Thursday, April 5, 2007

Easter


What is Easter all about?

The kids at school decorated Easter eggs. Because it's an "American" cultural thing. But is it really?

Someone asked me, "Don't you think you are compromising by mixing Christianity with a pagan holiday? The pagan holiday came first."

I didn't know how to explain what Easter means to me. I stumbled my way through an explanation and felt like I'd given a totally wrong impression of myself.

It's so frustrating. I hate when I don't have the words to express what I know and believe. I hate when the person I talk to thinks I believe one way because I did a poor job of explaining.

Anyway, I did some Easter research. I learned that Easter is actually deeply rooted in Christianity and Judaism. The passover and Christ's resurrection being the big parts. Some awesome stuff. There is a good article on wikipedia.org if you type in "Easter".

One thing I found interesting was the idea that the word "Easter" might have its beginnings in the German word for "sunrise". Seemed poetic to me.

I'm going to think more about this whole Easter thing.

"Little MerEgg" (with trident accessory)





My brothers and I always enjoyed a special family tradition. My mother would hide Easter baskets filled with candy (and a pair of shorts) around the house. It was our job to find them. I've never heard of anyone else giving shorts on Easter.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

I love the easter eggs. I wish I could have my class do that. Instead, they're making things like videos about China's One-Child Policy...not quite the same thing...Here's something for you. Every Friday I feel like I'm you...it's kindof like deja vu but I've never actually experienced the situation before. Friday evenings there is a Korean school that meets in our building, in my classroom and in the other classrooms on my floor. I'm usually there late, even on Fridays, and I'm there when they're coming in for Korean School. I see these little girls and boys being brought in by their parents to learn about the Korean language and culture. It's so weird to me because the little kids look just like your students (well, to me they do) and I find it odd that they're doing the opposite. You teach them English and American customs and every Friday they come for Korean and Korean customs/traditions. Anyway, when I see them coming in and going into class I feel like I'm seeing through your eyes, only backwards!

Unknown said...

Want to know something weird? I was reading that exact article (Easter on wikipedia) about ten hours ago. Was reading up on the topic after talking with someone about the events leading up to Jesus's crucifixion.

Interesting study topic: On which days of the week did the crucifixion, burial, and resurrection occur? ie... Do the Biblical accounts back up our tradition of Friday-to-Sunday...?

Mandipants said...

I've never heard of shorts either . . . but my mom does the whole "hiding-of-the-easter-basket" ;)