Friday, April 6, 2007

Easter II - and One


(The "and One" is a basketball reference.)

So these past two days... every third class the children decorated eggs. The other day, I realized that I would have egg decorating with my wildest class... which actually made me very happy... I immediately thought, "Thank you, God! I don't have to try and teach them a lesson. We can just play."

In other news... I was recently amazed by the natural leadership displayed by my student Sally. After a vocab test, I often give one hint. The students get to select the word they want the hint for. Usually, I have to go through a painful selection process that involves a few upset kids. However...

In this case, Sally gave some rapid fire instructions in Korean... something like "raise your hand if you want number 1, number 2, number 3, etc.." It was decided in seconds. I almost stuttered over the hint I was so amazed. I could have said, "You go, girl." But somehow, I don't think she would have understood.

For some reason "the folks upstairs" decided we needed to video tape some of our classroom lectures. I was actually a little nervous. But it worked out okay.

Jean busted in during the last 5 minutes of class.

"Ryan Teacher, can you repeat the last part of the lecture for the video."
"Ummm... Jean, we only have five minutes left. I'm not sure we'll have time. I guess we can try though. What do you think, class?"
"Yeah, we can do it!!!"

Then because I'd already gone over the lecture, the kids had all the answers. It made me look like a pro.

The kids often comment on my "red face." I get pretty excited in class sometimes... I end up jumping around and waving my arms a lot. I get really worked up... then my face turns red. They delight in pointing this out to me.

Today, I had to explain what "piece of cake" meant. I had used the term several times and one of the little girls had no idea what I was talking about. So she asked me.



Anna wrote "Jesus is revive" on her egg.


No comments: