Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Peace (Rest)


It seems to me that everyone is looking for a little peace. And by 'peace', I don't mean a halt in all violent action (though that would be great too). No, I mean peace as in rest. That quiet feeling inside, when your spirit gives a happy sigh.

Today I woke up (which is something to celebrate) AND my thoughts were in turmoil. I hate when that happens. I've learned that if you stay in bed, things don't get better. So I decided to get an early start. Nip this thing in the bud, so to speak.

On the way to work, I thought it might be smart to ask God for a little peace. When I got to work, I discovered I was the first person there and the doors were still locked.

I wandered around outside looking for a quiet spot to read my Bible. I thought maybe that might help straighten out my thoughts. Except I discovered something. It can be really hard to find a quiet place in Korea. I couldn't even find a bench to sit on.

So I went to the nearby YMCA. I don't know why. Maybe because I'd never been to one in Korea. Halfway up the stairs I had to stop. About a thousand 4-year-olds were coming down. Each one had a pair of rollerblades strapped to his back. And they were moving about 1 mile per hour. I waited patiently. Then it started...

One little dude said, "안녕하세요" ('an-nyong haseyo'...which means 'Hello'). Suddenly, all of the little kids felt they needed to say hi to me. Not all at once, but one-by-one as they slowly passed me. It was sweet. I felt cool. I felt peace.

After swimming through the flood of children, I returned to work (it was still closed) and sat in the stairwell. It was quiet there. I read my Bible. Actually, I mostly just held it open and prayed. I had been given some peace. It was nice. I think I'll ask for it more often. Seems like the smart thing to do.

4 comments:

Ginny said...

I was just thinking about peace, more wondering about peace. I am never satisfied with the conclusions I come to when I think...mostly because I never come to conclusions, only endless questions. I'm glad you were given a taste of peace today.

Min said...

ya it's really hard to find the place to meditate huh?
but it's great that you had your own time to meditate~
man I need that too
the time I can just relax and talk to God only~

Anonymous said...

Ahh...peace. Surprisingly complicated. Musings-- I think it's possible for the soul to know peace even when worries and emotions do not feel the peace. That's the amazing thing about God... His peace doesn't change, and even when all the commotion in your mind and feelings is present, peace can be as well. It would be awesome if the noise would go away (and stay away) because it is then that the floodgates of peace overflow--and you really, really experience peace. But I'm not sure that is always possible on this side of eternity... What is possible is an unshakable core of peace that the soul can always experience when trusting God--even when life does not seem to be happening as you think it should...

Unknown said...

Hey, have you ever seen the Nooma Video called ¨Noise¨?