Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Chicken Art Museum


I bought some new motorcycle gear... jacket, pants, gloves. Everything has armor. The pants are really stylin'... they have built-in knee, shin, and butt guards. They're so nicely made though, that you can hardly tell the pads are there. The jacket is waterproof and also has elbow, forearm, and spine guards. Total price $200. A total bargain. Most places sell the jacket alone for $200. But because the products are locally made, they are tons cheaper.

I also found the only juggling shop in Korea (at least I'm pretty sure it is). So I made a few purchases there as well. I have missed juggling. I bought weighted juggling balls for improving strength, 6 stage juggling balls, and some juggling scarves in case I need to teach someone how to juggle. I also couldn't resist a really nice hacky sack. I suppose I consider all of these purchases early birthday and Christmas presents for myself (selfish me).

Included below are some pictures from a walk I took today: a magical door, a lonely chair, a broken light, locks and doorhandles... Oh yeah, and I went to a chicken art museum. I was the only one there... and I had my own English speaking tour guide. What a weird job. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any photos inside the museum. I did feel a bit awkward when they had to turn the lights and heat on for me (hey, the sign said "open")... and when the guide followed me around. I mean, she's probably seen those things a million times and the exhibit consists of only two rooms. I tried to ask intelligent questions to help her out and put her at ease, but... I mean... we're talking about chickens here, what is there to say?

Things I learned:
-if a chicken lives 1000 years it becomes a phoenix like creature
-chickens are messengers from heaven
-wooden carved chickens used to be very important during Korean funerals, but have been replaced by the "modern" funeral
-it's best to just smile and pretend you don't understand Korean when the two older women at the chicken museum say you're cute, so as to avoid embarrassing the college girl giving the tour.
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

o i like the a magical door one..it's really good.i love the color.i love it you can make many stories about that doorㅋㅋand the juggling balls are cute!never seen one until today.-jaimekim-

Anonymous said...

The chair looks staged some how...
I ran across this juggler that you have probably known about for years but in case you haven't here is a link to a video. http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/michael_moschen.html

HektikLyfe said...

I really like the door. Those pants look like the type I wear on weekends. But I don't ride a bike. :X

~mismante