Thursday, November 20, 2008

Skeletal Dodecahedron


In previous posts I've talked about how I enjoy origami. It's relaxing, fun, and hey... basically free toys and prizes for the kids.

I decided to make one of the "difficult" ones. Took me a good 3 hours I'd guess. It's not even that hard... it's just... big. The final product is composed of thirty pieces. And yes, I had to cheat a little with some tape, because one piece would fall out while I was attaching another piece.

I don't think I'll be giving many of these away as prizes, since it took me forever to make just one.

This is a list of my most common folds:
-jumping frog
-crane
-ninja star
-morphing star (It can change it's shape. This is one of my favorite. I learned it by taking apart one that was given to me.)
-water bomb, aka box, aka balloon
-triangle jewelry box
-tetrahedron gift box
-boat
-and a few others

And now, a guide to making the "Skeletal Dodecahedron" (said with a loud booming voice).













4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the abrupt "instructional gap" before the last photo... up until then it was incredibly detailed:

1) See paper.
2) Fold paper in half.
3) Fold paper again....
.....etc etc...
9) Combine two components.
10) Add third component.
11) Turn it over.
12) BAM!!!! DODECAHEDRON!!!

:O)

ryan said...

well, you see... after combining the three into one... well, you just kind of do that again a million times... until all 30 pieces are gone.

okay okay.. you got me... i got lazy about taking pictures after the first 10 minutes.

HektikLyfe said...

My talents go as far as the crane. Anything more complex and I get frustrated. I like to look at them and secretly wish I knew how but as many times as I learn how to do the crane, I always forget. I could only imagine how frustrated I would get with something like this.

~browli

Jamie said...

Sweet! I'm going to try it with sticky notes! : )