Saturday, November 8, 2008

Grad pics, Words from Jake, and the 학

The kids got kindy grad pics taken last week. I snapped a few of my own pics over the shoulder of the photographer.

My boys were getting really bored. With this age, distraction is the best trouble prevention method. So I told one of them to run and get the playing cards. It did the trick and they stayed out of trouble until everyone had gotten their picture taken.

Cards are actually a pretty good way to teach several math concepts. They love a game I taught them. I don't know it's name. But you each take a card and hold it on your forehead. So you know what the other person's card is, but you don't know your own card. Then you take turns trying to guess whose card is bigger or smaller. I also taught them the classic "war" card game.

Sometimes if there is an argument about who gets to go first... second... etc., I will take out the cards. Each student gets one random card. Then I say biggest number is first... or smallest number is first... and they must figure out their order based on the card they received.









These are 학 (sounds like "hawk"), or in English, cranes. They say if you fold 1000 you can make a wish... or if you give a 1000 to a girl you love, she will love you in return. I find origami very relaxing. So I fold a crane every now and then and put it in my window. My Korean teacher saw me folding them and I've seen her sneak some of her own cranes into the pile. I think there are about 20 right now... only 980 to go.





And now it's time for... "Words from Jake."

What are you gonna do if you kick your shoe into a pond and a frog eats it and then a shark eats the frog and then the shark goes into the sky and a rocket hits the shark and your shoe comes in two? - Jake

I'm just gonna take off my other shoe and throw it away and buy new shoes. - James

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! Those little graduation pictures are darling!!!!
(Jake sure thought that little "What if" question through didn't he!)
Tell James I think he is one smart kid! :-)
Love ya Ryan,
MOM

Jamie said...

Those are hardcore grad suits -- looks like they're getting their Masters or PhDs!

My Junior year of high school a girl from Taiwan lived with us. She showed me how to make these awesome 3D stars which held a similar significance -- make 1,000 for your true love... and you know how the story goes. I find origami facinating.

PS. Yes.. Grampa is spry - and ornery too. :) He and my Gramma had gotten back from a 4-week trip to China and the Philippines a few days before that party. I want to be active like them if I live to be that old.

HektikLyfe said...

Those are some educated individuals right there. So funny with all the books. XD