Sunday, May 27, 2007

Students and Stars


Some observations and experiences from the weekend...

[1]I smiled at a smiling grandfather. He was watching his grandson chase pidgeons.

[2]A boy and father were jumping rope together. The father would swing the rope and say "jump" and they would both try and leap the rope. The boy ran to his mother shouting in Korean, "mom, we got two!"

[3]I went to the Han river to play some basketball. It really is a universal language. I boldly approached a group of guys and motioned I wanted to play. In no time, we had a four on four game going. Every couple games they would stop for a smoke break, which cracked me up. Basketball and smoking... so opposite. One of the guys brought out some cherry tomatoes and some carefully cut watermelon slices. We feasted and then played some more. I learned some "Korean rules". I also discovered that Koreans aren't as aggressive when they play bball as the guys in the states. Had a great time. One guy could speak very good English, he informed me that they meet every saturday and sunday and he invited me to join them again. There was never any need for words during the two hours I played.

[4]Spotted another couple wearing matching clothes. Same shirts. Same pants. Same shoes. So awesome. I've got to start photo documenting these things.

[5]I found a secret entrance to the park on the river.

[6]There are so many children here. They are everywhere. It's great. They are full of life.

[7]Once again, I found an outdoor concert. It appeared to be some kind of amateur show. Each group performed one song and that was it. Fun stuff.

















1 comment:

Anders said...

Dude, it truly is awesome how basketball is a universal language. I once had a similar experience in Peru.

I am quite curious as to the differing Korean rules, (just call me a basketball nut :)

And your other observations are pretty awesome too man, they truly reflect that passion that is in your heart. Glad to keep hearing all is well in Rambo land.

Lord's Peace