Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The ABCs of Shaving


I bought a magnetic alphabet puzzle for my kindergarten class(all two of them). It magically attaches to the blackboard... 태영 discovered that little fact. I took all the pieces out and had the students put them back in as quickly as possible. First, I put the pieces on a desk far away from the blackboard. Then I instructed them that they could only use one hand to move the pieces.

The kids were smart... they picked up as many pieces as possible with one hand and carried them over to the board (I thought they would run back and forth putting in one piece at a time). They did it three times and got faster every time.

My mom also reminded me of the "shaving cream" idea. I remember it being so fun when I was little (you know, like 18)... I had to try it with my kids as soon as possible. So today we drew letters in shaving cream. They loved it. 형민 kept saying "ohmygot" (Oh, my God). I was so excited with them, I forgot to take pictures except at the end when 태영 reminded me... she wrote her english name "Alice".








Extras...
My student Kate showed me a necklace she always wears. It's made of metal and has her name and parents phone number stamped on it. I wonder if this active little girl gets lost often?

Did I mention that every sandwich from Isaac's has an egg square and corn in it?

When it rains here, I never bring an umbrella. I'm from Oregon, and in Oregon, umbrellas are for wimps. But the people here tell me I'll go bald because of the acid rain. Hmmm... maybe I should start using an umbrella.

I have included a student essay. It is one of my favorite. They had to create an advertisement... can you decode it? (click the photo to enlarge it)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for praying. I read your words this morning and cried...again. It´s been an exhausting 24 hours and I´m reminded of how special my friends are.
MUCHAS gracias, mi amigo...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the kindergarten lessons and pictures! This definitely remindes me of my kiddos.
And the advertisement is wonderful, I love the words that they chose to use, they are doing very well with their descriptors and adjectives. You really are a wonderful teacher Ryan, I wish that I could be a fly on the wall in one of your classes...well actually I'd really rather just sit in your classes, but I guess being a fly might be cool.
Jess

Jaepil said...

She's gonna manage Homeplus in the future. hahaha.