Friday, May 11, 2007

Scenarios

I teach several new "speaking and listening" classes. It's been difficult to get the students to participate. But somehow, I stumbled onto something that always works. I call it "scenarios". I have no idea why it works so well... but it does. I create a hypothetical (imaginary) situation and then ask the children for advice. Often I simply adapt a story I heard from someone else. Here are two of the most effective scenarios...

Scenario 1:
I went into a store and bought an icecream. When I came out of the store, five high school girls stopped me. They told me to give them icecream or they would beat me up. What should I do?

    Student responses:
  • Throw your icecream at them and run.
  • Yell for help.
  • Say, "Okay, follow me into the store and I will buy you some." (Then take them to the store guard.)
  • Call for your mom.
  • Fight them. (I said,"I can't hit a girl!" My student May said, "Close your eyes and pretend they are boys and then punch them.")
  • Eat the icecream really really fast so they can't have it.
  • Lick the icecream and then they won't want it.

Scenario 2:
A sea monster came out and ate my basketball. It's my favorite basketball. What should I do?

    Student responses:
  • Pick up a stone and throw it at the monster.
  • Go to your mom and tell her you need a new basketball.
  • Go inside the monster and get the ball back.
  • Run away.



    Some bits and pieces I've learned this week...
  • Kids love rewards... sometimes very strange rewards like getting to erase the blackboard.
  • Little girls with crushes are hilarious.
  • Eating a whole pizza by yourself is a bad idea.
  • Korean kids, in my opinion, are still the cutest kids in the world.
  • I'm pretty sure my students think I'm crazy. And that's okay, as long as they listen.
  • Stairwells are nice places to sit and think.
  • God still loves me.
  • For about a half second, I considered joining the US National Guard, but I couldn't find a job listing for "photographer" so I decided not to.
  • I am a super competitive person and don't like to lose.
  • Many of my students have already seen Spiderman 3 before me, and that's not fair.
  • I am still afraid I will run out of creative ideas.
  • 12 year old girls can fart with the best of the boys.
  • I like lists.


Grace and peace, my friends.

1 comment:

Mandipants said...

hahahahahahaha, just wait until you get to spend more time with Jenna =) girls do a lot of things you may not think they do.

miss you!