Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Couple (two) Small Stories


True Story #1
I arrived at work early the other day. But I discovered that the door to the teacher's room was broken and couldn't be opened. The lock was busted. Sue, one of the secretaries, called the building maintenance man.

So I sat in the reception area and waited for him. He got there and couldn't get it open either.

While the maintenance dude talked with Sue, I did some reconnaissance... I examined the door mechanism in one of the other offices. It was just as I thought. If the broken lock was the same, I would be able to use some of my lesser known skills... I thought I might as well give it a try... so I pulled out my plastic REI membership card... and jimmied the broken lock open. It took me about 5 seconds. Sue and the maintenance guy were amazed.

I hope they don't think I'm some kind of burglar or something. Just an average engineer/teacher/motorcycler/juggler/photographer.

True Story #2
I am teaching a new class of 7 year olds. They are hilarious. The other day, 종은 showed me a cut she had on her foot. Then 민교 showed me a cut on his elbow. I couldn't resist, I showed them a cut on my ankle that I got playing soccer. Pretty soon everyone in class was showing off some kind of battle wound. If someone looked in the window at that moment, they would have been confused... they would have seen the teacher and class with their pant legs and sleeves pulled up... cuts and bruises proudly being displayed. Sometimes, I forget that I'm not a kid.

God continues to bless my life with joy. Mostly through the children I teach.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stories... Good timing on whipping out the "lesser known skills" And, everyone needs a good session of "Scar Wars" to kick off a semester : ) Perhaps you are seeing why Jesus said of children, "the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these" God is good. Blessings to you, Friend, as you in turn bless the children.

Mandipants said...

oh gosh- I love your stories Ry! and I'm so thankful for your encouragement!

peace brother!

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you have some of your own! You will find tons of joy and fun then too, every day!. I have sooo enjoyed mine, and we are discovering it all over again with Jenna.
Love you and am thinking about you and praying for you everyday!
Love, MOM

Father Dane said...

You are awesome...by the way.

love,
D