Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Afroball


Yesterday, I felt my elementary group had reached a level of closeness in which they could play "afroball". Afroball is the name of an activity we used in HAC (high adventure camp) and is short for "affirmation ball".

Each participant receives several scraps of colored paper. I say one name, and for a minute everyone writes things about that person... compliments, single words, etc. When the time is up, everyone wads their paper into a ball and throws it at the person. This continues until everyone in the group has been bombarded with encouraging wads of paper.

It's fun and meaningful.

The girls demanded they have time for Ryan... here is what they wrote for me. It actually really encouraged me when I was feeling a bit down.
--awesome
--creative thinker
--balloon
--monkey
--ice cream
--fun
--happiness
--free
--kind
--smart
--hard working
--kindness
--funny
--nice
--respect
--no protein (I still don't understand this one)
--think and work for others/give

Please feel free to use "afroball" with a group you think can handle it. Spoken affirmations are great... AND written affirmations are even better. A person can always pull them out when they need encouragement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey cool idea!!! If I were in your class and throwing a wad of paper at you, it would say "deep"