Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Walk and a Talk


This weekend, I journeyed with a group called "Adventure Korea". We traveled to a small island in the south. While there, we stayed with a Korean family, did some hiking, played some games, ate authentic food, and went deep sea fishing.

Oh yeah, and I ate live octopus... It was the strangest thing... We caught the creature and then (the brave ones) bit off its legs. Those little tentacles didn't want to be eaten either... they stuck to the inside of your mouth and fought like crazy. I have to say that it was extrememly weird eating something while it was still alive.

I also made it onto Korean TV. They were doing a special program to promote this village and to attract more tourism. Somehow, I was in the group that the camera man followed around all day. They even filmed us eating. At one point, the director said "Ooh. I will get a shot through the window. Okay now, everybody laugh." It was just such a ridiculous and fake request that we all started laughing for real.

Late at night. I took a walk alone. And after a time, I found myself sitting on a cliff overlooking the sea. A full moon smiled on the area, and the roaring silence filled my ears. I decided to speak with God... out loud. Something I hadn't done for some time. I'd forgotten how scary and how awesome it was.

I was careful to choose my words with some thought. I mean, I was talking with God, I didn't want to say anything stupid. We had a good chat. Mostly about life. About how some people feel lonely. About the importance of community. About girls. About obedience. About purpose. And about people I care for and think of often. He listened carefully.

It felt good to just talk. I wasn't asking for any favors. I wasn't asking for a miracle. I wasn't begging or pleading. I wasn't crying. I wasn't yelling. I was simply sharing. Sometimes, when I think about it all (how easy it is for us to talk with God), I get goosebumps. You know, like when you hear a certain song or story that speaks to your soul.

I'd also like to say... boys all over the world love camp fires and fire in general(see pics below).



The village where we stayed (population 150).



















God says, "in the silence I am listening not abandoning." (from a poem by Bradley Hathaway).

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Ah yes, I think some of my favorite times have just been God chat times, just talking to him about things, and then just waiting in silence for him to respond. There is just something peaceful about the whole thing. I'm glad you had time for some of that. I also love that picture of the green. I don't know what it is, grass, or something else, but it's lovely. Take care my friend!

Unknown said...

Bradley Hathaway also says ´I am hardcore!´

And YOU are hardcore. Biting off the leg of a live octopus? Somehow that doesn`t make my chicken head soup seem so awful.