Thursday, March 1, 2007

Invincible


I can't believe how comfortable I feel here. I easily take a bus to the seven floor department store where I grab some groceries, pay with my Korean banking card, and catch the correct bus home, all without seeing another English speaking person.

I admit, I feel a bit proud of myself. I imagine myself as a fish, weaving my way through the cultural currents here.

I feel independant.

I feel free.

I feel like a pro.

I feel invincible.

On the bus ride home, it started to get crowded. Suddenly, there was only one seat left. The one next to the "mee-gook" (american). The question was, who would be the brave one? Finally, a girl sat down to rest her feet. She didn't make eye-contact and quickly put her headphones in... to avoid any awkward conversation.

I noticed she had a Bible in her hands (because it said "Bible" in English and Korean). I took my Bible out of my backpack and showed her. At first, she was confused. But after I pointed at her Bible and then at mine, she smiled. Then it was my stop.

Another conversation without words. I felt strangely excited. Perhaps I had just met a 'sister' in God's family. Maybe someday we'll meet in eternity. We'll talk about when we first met on a bus. In Korea. And she can tell me that she thought I was weird.

Or maybe I was able to encourage her. Maybe she had just bought that Bible and was thinking "Girl, who reads this old thing anyway? I just wasted 16,000 wan." But then when the dude she "had" to sit by pulled out his Bible, she thought, "Maybe there's something to this."

Could I have helped her find the way to truth and life? I can only speculate.





Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, reading all this is totally making me nostalgic for my summer in Thailand.... I know exactly what you mean about feeling invincible and independant. Bargaining was a huge part of Thai culture, and I felt like I had really conquered something when I finally learned enough to be able to bargain in Thai.... Sounds like you're having a blast over there... I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

Ryan -
Not only do you encourage me with your comments on my blog and your blog posts...but I got a sweet message from your mom. It was so fun to get a message from her and her words blessed me.
Thanks for passing my blog along!
I´m glad you experienced fellowship with other Christians... what an answer to prayer!