Monday, March 26, 2007

Compliments and Puzzle Pieces


New class interview assignment... compliment your mom.

Sounds easy, right? Wrong. There are four basic "complimenting levels".

[1]Complimenting a person on their possessions. For example... "Your glasses are super cool." (This is the easiest, most common, and least meaningful type of compliment. They can be used as conversation starters or casually between friends. This type of compliment is usually forgotten soon after it is given.)

[2]Complimenting a person on their physical appearance. For example... "You've got lovely long hair." (Often these are given without much thought, unfortunately they are sometimes the most desired.)

[3]Complimenting a person on their abilities. For example... "You are the most amazing soccer player I know." (These compliments are deeper and require some knowledge about the person.)

[4]Complimenting a person on their character. For example... "You are as dependable as the coming of the tide." (This is the most meaningful and most difficult to give. It often requires intimate and long term knowledge of the person. This kind of compliment is not easily forgotten.)

(I think Papa HAC told me about these. I have defined and expanded on them.)
Next time you give someone a compliment... think about what kind of compliment you are giving. Do you want it to be deep?



Thoughts while in church...

God promises rest.
"What is the greatest worry that is keeping you from God's rest?" (A question asked by Jin).

In a previous entry I quoted Jesus. "You must lose your life to find it." My brother asked me "Have you lost your life?"

I started to think about this question while sitting in church.
Have I lost my life?
It hasn't been stolen.
It hasn't been forgotten.
It has slowly... piece by piece... been lost.

It's like a jigsaw puzzle. You know when you get out your favorite puzzle... you put it together... and suddenly you realize that a piece is missing. Then you notice that a piece from a completely different puzzle has appeared.

Well, that's my life. Each time I take my life out of the box to have a look, I notice that more old pieces have been "lost" and several new pieces have been "found". One day all my old pieces will be lost and I'll have a totally sweet new puzzle.

So my answer is... Yes, I have lost my life. And I will continue to lose it.

old and new



A wiseman once said, "Christians talk about their future eternal life... and don't realize that it has already begun."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, what if you could incorporate all four levels into a single compliment? It would be, like, the ultimate compliment of ultimate destiny.

Incidentally, that first picture from the Saturday/Sunday post instantly made me think of Monty Python.

Keep it up, flogmeister...

Edgar said...

Man I tell you your a Poet, you don't need engineering!