Tuesday, March 6, 2007

A Daisy in the Field


In one of my classes, there is a girl named Daisy. She is sweet and gentle. And sometimes she forgets to do her homework.

Today she got into a lot of trouble because she hasn't been doing all of her homework. I believe she now has two penalties (three penalties and you have to leave the hogwan).

I saw her sitting in the main office area. Her face was sad and she looked like she was about to cry. I smiled at her, but she just shook her head.

As I began to leave the teacher's office for my next class, I noticed that Daisy was still out there. Still looking sad. And now her mom was there talking with one of the Korean teachers.

I just couldn't help myself... I slipped the girl some chocolate as I walked past.

I know... I know... I was undermining the disciplinary system. But I just couldn't take those sad eyes anymore.

Two periods later, I had her in class. When class ended, the children streamed by in a mad dash for the elevator. All the children except Daisy. She stopped in front of me (with her sad gentle face), bowed deeply, and then followed the other children out.

Instantly, my chocolate decision was validated.





At church I met an awesome Korean guy named James. I asked, "How did you become a Christian." He laughed and said he first went to church for a choco-pie (it's sort of like a Little Debbie).

A wiseman once said, "The way to a man's heart really is through his stomach."

3 comments:

Bethany Bylsma said...

i like daisy already.
and all the other munchkins you spend your days with.

i might be a cook at tilikum this summer. i'm trying to not get excited incase it doesn't happen.

but it would be sweet.

also this:
miss you! :-)

Anonymous said...

A good reason to always carry chocolate on one's person...

Anonymous said...

similar situation happened to me..i first came to church because they were offering free pizza...that is where i was saved by the true love of God's people...I went out and preach God's agape love for all. My friends were both amazed and scared of the transition after I came to know the Lord.