Saturday, January 3, 2009

a Weirdo


I think a lot of art just happens on accident. I think the "artist" is often just messing around, bored, testing out equipment and then he suddenly gets a weird shot that has some sort of strange appeal. And he thinks... wow, maybe somebody would like to hang this on their wall. And then some person comes along and says, "That is the weirdest things I've ever seen. I'll buy it." Art.

Why do I take pictures? I suppose sometimes it's to entertain. Usually it's because something evokes an emotion in me... awe, admiration, humor, sadness, joy...
And I want to capture that moment. To share it with someone who could not be there. To look at it months, years later and remember.

Anyway, I think some of these pictures are just plain weird. But perhaps someone somewhere will think they are art.

And speaking of weird. I can't remember if I've written about this before, but I had a conversation with my dad that went something like this...


So you got any special lady friend? - Dad

No, not for lack of wanting one. It's just... well, I think maybe it's too difficult to find one that will match me. I'm a weirdo. - me

Well, then you just need to find a weirda. - Dad



I actually laughed. And it made me feel better. And I realized that I missed laughing at Dad's jokes.

So I raise my paper cup of filtered water in a toast... a toast to the weirda out there, whom I will someday meet and romance.

(here's an example of my weirdoness... I spent a good 10 minutes finding out the correct use of whom and who... and I'm still only 98% sure I used it correctly.)








1 comment:

Kelsey said...

She's out there, Ry...

She's the sister to MY weirdo. So when you find her and get married, I'll meet my guy on the dance floor. ;)