Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back In the Swing of Things


I've been back teaching for two days now and I'm exhausted. It's tough to jump back into things, but it's nice to see the kids again.

During gym, if I give them a few minutes of free time, they always seem to choose "attack Ryan" as the game of choice. This involves them jumping on, punching, kicking, and hitting me... while I toss them onto the mats(or their classmates). I'm always careful to make sure they don't get hurt... but they aren't always so careful in return and I end up getting a few bruises (they think I'm invincible).

I've always been interested in the power of words. I think I especially started to notice the influence of words while I was working as a facilitator. There's a subtle but important difference between... "You can do it." and "Your movements are solid and smooth."

The first statement implies you're a failure if you can't "do it". While the second statement simply compliments the current success and subtly encourages more of the same.

That is just a small example.

I've also been doing some "psychology" reading and eventually I want to see how I can use it in the classroom and my every day life.

I think it's important to read. To learn. To find new things that interest you.

What's wrong with the following picture that I took?






3 comments:

Unknown said...

Huh? You're not invincible?

The two of clubs (or the anything of clubs) should be black!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes the power of words, I looked at the picture, not the content. Though there is a use of thirds, you are slightly crooked, and at an angle to the subject, the light has created glare around the edges and the focus is not quite perfect. Maybe a little ISO work... I don't know.
Little did you know much your work was being critiqued LOL
Actually its good stuff, you need to get a web site up and sell some of it.

ryan said...

nice work travis! you got it.

and chad, no problem. critiques are what make better pictures possible. yes, i'd like to sell my work... but i suffer from a symptom most "artists" suffer from... lack of interest in creating a business.

oh well, i can always hope for a wealthy patron, like in the old days.