Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Goodbye


Today I started saying some of my first "goodbyes". Some students are starting school so they have finished our winter hogwan early. They will be back in a couple weeks for the spring session.

I also said goodbye to some of my Monday - Wednesday classes. Many of them were shocked to learn I wouldn't be coming back. "Why?" some of them asked with frowns on their faces.

I don't like saying goodbye. There is an awkwardness. A sudden silence. A feeling of not knowing what to do or say. I may never see these children again, but it's hard to understand that. Some of them I have seen almost daily for over a year.

And there are so many great memories. Funny things said. Funny things done. Kids my heart has cried for. Trouble kids who taught me about myself. New growth as a person. New knowledge. I feel I have experienced a lifetime in just a year.

I am sad that I must leave. And at the same time, I am excited to be moving onward.

I plan to return to the states for a month. To rest. To catch up. To take care of some of the little things. Then it's back to Korea for at least one more year. I'd like to work in or closer to Seoul. I'd like to try a few new teaching ideas. But that is all in the future and is still uncertain.

This will probably be my last post from Korea at this time. The next few days are going to fly... I have packing, teaching, shopping, goodbyes, money transferring, and a job interview.

I leave here February 3rd. I've already located the nearest airport bus stop.

I'm eager to make some homemade cookies and eat german pancakes (hint hint to my mom).
I'm eager to visit family and friends.
I'm eager to catch up on all the movies I've missed.
I'm eager to drive again.
I'm eager to walk on carpet.
I'm eager to share my stories and show my pictures.
I'm eager to see what sort of reverse culture shock I experience.

So until I see you again... this is Goodbye.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... didn't realize it was coming so soon. Enjoy the rest of your time...

Kia said...

That is sad. Leaving stinks. But some of us here are pretty excited to see you again soon. :-) Safe travels, friend.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing you. I have enjoyed reading every one of your blogs.
~Chad

Anonymous said...

ㅠ.ㅠ
-annie-