Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Candid Coffee Comments



The following are random thoughts I jotted down while sitting in a coffee shop...

I love coffee shops. Must be my Oregon blood. This place has a great window for people watching. Which of course leads me to think about girls because there are dozens of lovely girls walking by. Some clinging tightly to lucky guys for warmth.

(Other comments about girls have been edited out and shall remain secret.)

Hip music is playing; there's a gentle hubbub of conversation; it's warm. I can sit and enjoy the sound of life. And no one expects me to talk. I don't have to try and create conversation. I don't have to make sure everyone is included.

Gloves with strings... what a great idea!

Cheese and lollipop... what is that mom thinking... yuck.

I see a beautiful picture, but I don't have the guts to ask if I can take it (I don't mean steal some painting off a wall; I'm talking about a photographic opportunity).

She sits alone with one chocolate, one glazed, and two cream puffs. Why? Will she eat them all? People are waiting, reading, gossiping. She finished the chocolate and is halfway through a cream puff.

There's another girl across from me, alone, waiting for someone I think. I noticed her because I've never seen someone eat a chocolate muffin so carefully.

Mini-skirts? It's freezing! What are they thinking?!?

Wow, she's only got one cream puff left. She finished off the glazed one while I wasn't looking. Cream puff is gone. She wiped her mouth with a napkin. Now she's gone. I wonder what her story is. Is it a happy one?

There's a coffee drink called a "Mudslide". Why would they call it that? I mean, mud doesn't taste that good. I've tried it (the mud, not the drink).

Seems like life is all about waiting and hurrying (based on what I can see from my coffee shop seat).

In this world that is Korea, I am unique. Is that why I like it? Because I feel special? Because I'm different? Outwardly and inwardly I am different. Am I unique in the States? Do I secretly fear returning because I might just disappear into the norm? I'll become just another average white male? That can't be right. Everyone's special somehow (do I really believe that?). I'd like to think I believe that. I'd like to think that I enjoy meeting people because they're special. The challenge of figuring out how they're special... that's the fun part.

I've got many more candid coffee comments... maybe I'll type some more up later...



Cool guy Min



Magic Hair
(I don't know what it is, but Joanne says it's expensive, it involves chemicals, and it takes two hours or four... I can't quite remember.)



Coffee Love



What do you do with an ugly sewer entrance?
You cover it with a happy countryside mural.



It's cold.


4 comments:

Jamie said...

lol.. well, if you hadn’t said further comments about girls were edited out, no one would have ever known. Those secrets would have been that much more secret from the world. It would seem more dangerous to pique the curiosity of people who like to discover secrets... which would lead me to think that perhaps you would really rather share those secrets than keep them locked away forever... But, it would, of course, depend on who you divulge the secret to (or to Whom), what, when, where, why, how...wouldn’t it?

Charissa said...

First off, I agree with Jamie's comment. Secondly, my mom makes this amazing Mississippi Mud Cake! I haven't had real sugar in about 9 years and I don't remamber what most dessert tastes like, but I remember the rich, gooey chocolatey taste of Mississippi Mud Cake (maybe if you come to visit I'll make it for you and sneak a bite!) So i like that type of Mud!
Third...WHAT THE HECK! of course your special...I don't associate with non-special people, haha! You are an amazing man of God! And I definitely view you as a part of my family (which isn't a lot of people). So there, you are special.

Unknown said...

Nice stream-of-consciousness post. I second the sentiments above... now that the "girl thoughts" have been hinted at, they must be disclosed. Promptly. ;)

PS -- how did you add the "blogstats" thingy?

Kia said...

I enjoyed your coffee shop thoughts. In fact, you've inspired me to go do the same for a bit today. :-) And I agree with everyone else- you obviously knew people would probe when you wrote that... so clearly you aren't very good at keeping your own secrets. The next post better fill us in. :-P