Friday, November 30, 2007

Farewells


Goodbyes are always rough. I've been saying a few goodbyes lately. Not because I'm leaving, but because my students are leaving. Some have left to travel abroad and others have headed off to new academies.

Yesterday, one of my favorite students, Daisy, told me it was her last day. For a moment I thought she was just playing, but then she began to ask for her classmates phone numbers. Then she wrote down my name and asked for my handphone number. It was true, I was losing one of my brightest students. Class ended, but before she walked out the door, she handed me a small piece of paper cleverly folded. It read...

To. Ryan.
Hi I'm Daisy. I'm glad to be your student.
And also my favorite teacher.
Thaks for teaching me and bye!
By Daisy

It made me smile... and feel a little sad inside. It reminded me of my work at Tilikum. Waving goodbye to "my" kids as they went home on the buses. And don't get me wrong... I think I'm a manly man :)... but my eyes got a little teary during those times. Sometimes it was because I would miss those fun little kids, and other times, it was because I loved those kids and I knew they were headed back to tough family lives with constant put-downs, abuse, and loneliness.

I was recently talking with some friends and I said... "Oh yeah, my kids are great."
They teased me a little... "Your kids?"

They didn't seem to understand... if you teach children for a year... you read their stories, you listen to their words, you watch them interact with each other, you discipline them, you comfort them, you praise them... they in some way become yours.
All of them. Even the "bad" ones. And when they leave, you worry. How will they do? Will they be safe? Will someone new take care of them?

I wish I could skip ahead a few years and see how they're all doing.

Well, I've got two months left and then I too will have to say "Goodbye".

The time has passed so quickly.

3 comments:

Min said...

that's so sad
i am about to cry already haha
you are a good man buddy

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
I know exactly what you are saying and feeling. Don't forget you can always claim them as your kids and pray for them through their lives. Who knows how many you will see in the end....rather the beginning. Keep it up, you are doing a wonderful job. Cheri

Ginny said...

I know what you mean. I've given up trying to catch myself when I say "my kids." They are. A little part of them will always stay with us. I agree with the last comment. I still pray for my students that graduated and I still worry about them sometimes but I know that even though the goodbyes are sad, I wouldn't trade the time I had for them just so that I wouldn't have to say goodbye.