Friday, November 9, 2007

Thoughts that Fall like Leaves




I always put kids' journal entries on here... I thought I'd put one of mine for a change...


I sit on a wooden platform with my shoes off, Korean style. I watch an old man kick through the leaves. He stumbles and stops... looking back, searching for his attacker... a cement ledge hidden by the very leaves he was kicking.

He prods the enemy with the toe of his shoe before moving toward me. He sits on the bench behind me and speaks several times, then laughs. I can only catch a few words. I just smile, and we sit together in silence.

It's a strange scene I look upon... towering apartments with vibrant Fall colored trees in the foreground. The sound of buses mingles with the sound of children playing. The old man speaks again. Then clears his throat and spits.

I look down at my notes and at the Bible sitting on my lap. For a moment, I am filled with peace. I suddenly think, I want understanding and faith like Enoch. I want to walk with God and be no more (Genesis 5:24).

The stillness and my thoughts are broken by the boom of a military jet flying overhead. The old man stands up... he slowly walks away. I put my shoes on, and I get on with life.

by Ryan



No comments: