Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Amusing Observations


"What did you do this weekend?"
"Secret computer."
"What's secret computer?"
"It's when mom goes out and you go into the room and play computer games!"


"Would you rather kiss a bear or an alligator?"
"A bear... a teddy bear!"
(smart girl)


"Teacher, teacher.... event?!?"
"Okay..."
She then reached over and turned the lights on and off.


My student Rachel, "Teacher, can you come to Everland with me? I told my mom...(searching for a word in her electronic dictionary)... I told my mom I respect you and she said she would pay for your ticket and all the girls in the class, but not the boys."


I went shopping for some jeans. I walked into the store and greeted the two women working there. Then I started browsing... suddenly, I realized one of the women was following me. I walked from wall to wall and she was always a few steps behind me. At first I was embarrassed. Then I realized it was normal, and I laughed to myself.

Then I started asking her... "Do you think this is good? Will this fit me?" She would point out the size, if she thought I couldn't find it. Good thing I've got one of the two Korean number systems down. Finally, she directed me to the fitting room. When I came out, she was waiting for me. I had to chuckle inside. I bought the pants... so she did her job well.

I suppose I could have gotten upset... angry that she wouldn't let me just look around, but it seems that being able to laugh at yourself and strange situations often makes it okay. It's part of adjusting to another culture I think.


I went to my favorite "Isaac's Toast" shop. I ate the classic "Ham Cheese". Then Mrs. Lee and Regina pulled out a little gas stove and started cooking some "kimchi chige". They invited me to stay and eat lunch with them. It was "meshisaio"(delicious). I really needed a home cooked meal. They were impressed by my chopstick skills.

I thought it was cool. Never in America would a shop owner invite you to stay for a home cooked meal.





2 comments:

Min said...

Not every shop owners do that
that's mainly because you are the 2nd coolest guy in the world
you know who's the first one obviously lol

Kia said...

I love that leaf picture.