Monday, June 1, 2009

The Theft of feeling Secure


Somebody has tried to steal my motorcycle twice now. I'm not sure if it is the same person. I sort of don't think so, but I'm not certain. The first time was at my work. I came out after school and my motorcycle was on the ground. At first I thought it was the wind, but on closer inspection, I discovered that the kickstand was up and the bike was in neutral (I always leave it in 1st gear). Whoever tried to steal it got scared, or realized the steering was locked and so they just dropped it. It snapped my clutch handle and smashed in my front blinker.

The second time happened a week later at my apartment around midnight. The motion sensor lights came on and then I heard a motorcycle speed off. In the morning, I discovered somebody had jammed a screwdriver into my ignition in an attempt to break the steering lock or start the bike.

I was glad they hadn't stolen it, but they did a lot of damage. I have to replace the main ignition key now and that also means a new gas tank lock and seat lock. Plus the clutch handle.

It's an awful feeling. You feel helpless. And you can't even put a face to your attacker. I started thinking a lot about what I would do if I caught them in the act... would I try and tackle them? Take their picture? What?

Even if I call the cops, chances are the cops won't speak enough English for me to quickly give my location.

Once I get my bike back from the shop, I think I might start parking it inside my apartment. I've also started to put a chain lock on my back wheel. While it won't prevent someone from physically carrying the bike away and tossing it into a truck, it will prevent them from simply rolling it away. And it provides a "look" that will hopefully discourage a casual thief.

2 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Oh dude I'm so sorry about that. A lot of posts today about thieves.

As you've no doubt heard me whine many a time about criminal activity I feel for you. I hate that feeling of vulnerability.

It is not fair that you work so hard for what you have only to have ignorant neanderthals think they are in the right to take it all away.

~minesses (Golem's term of possesion?)

BTW-I'm going to keep pestering you about the Facebook photography group until I see your great work up there. ;) Actually this is the last time. I don't want to be a nuisance, I honestly think you'd enjoy it.

ryan said...

thanks. the post password is great.

ok ok... i'll join, you don't have to twist my arm, i do love photography. :)