Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shadows


Here's the basic farewell letter I plan to give to my students' parents.

Dear Green Island Parents,

It’s hard to believe that the Green Island class has been learning together for nearly twelve months. The time has gone by quickly. During that time, each student has learned and grown academically, socially, and personally.

They were an exciting class to teach, full of energy and creativity. Each one of them has a strong personality. And none of them are shy. I’ve seen them read more fluently, write more productively, and speak more confidently. They studied and learned subjects I never thought seven-year-olds could understand. This class loved difficult vocabulary words (they surprised me by remembering the words and using them correctly). They loved science that was messy and involved making something. And they were all great story tellers.

They have learned how to be friends and how to work as a team. They have learned, and will continue to learn, how to handle conflict and how to encourage. They created imaginary games about being doctors in hospitals, working in stores, and living as dinosaurs. They invited friends to play their games or quickly joined others.

Teaching them for a year has also allowed me to watch them all grow physically and mentally. I’ve seen them get taller and stronger. I’ve smiled when they proudly showed me their missing teeth. I’ve observed them when they solved problems and acted creatively. I spoke with them when they were sad and happy. I’ve listened to their silly questions, and their serious questions.

Their learning process is not complete and it will continue all their lives. I’m happy and proud that I could be a small part of this time in their life. I hope that I’ve taught them patience, kindness, and the joy of learning, through my words as well as my actions. I have truly come to love each one of them.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Thank you for your gifts. And especially thank you for trusting me with your children. May they continue to bless your lives.

Respectfully yours,
Ryan Daniel Mortinson





Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I went to a William Blake gallery last weekend.






3 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Very moving.

That last picture looks like a fight is about to break out.

Pent up frustration. Emotion, withheld.

Anonymous said...

The letter is very well written, Ryan.

By the way, I tag you for a fun little game.

Haha, my thoughts exactly about that last picture, Hektik.

ryan said...

cool. thanks guys. i had this idea to try and someday do a photo essay expressing emotions only using pictures of hands.

frustration or anger is of course the easiest.

i'll give that tag a try. :)