Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Farm Field Trip For the Third Time


The school insists that going to this place is beneficial... but... all we do is march around in the heat. Then dig around in the dirt for about 3 minutes and put a few potatoes in plastic bags... and this time we couldn't find many potatoes so they brought out boxes and the kids just lined up and got some... how lame is that?

Then we ate a picnic lunch, which was actually nice. Then the kids got bored and started saying "we've done this before... it's all the same."

And that's when the person in charge said... "everybody needs to be at the stage area for some singing at 1:00"... that's in 40 minutes. "What do we do in the mean time?" I asked. "Just go for a walk with the kids or something," they said.

"What?"

Luckily, I'm usually good at making up games on the spot. So I had my kids play "Spider" tag, four corners, regular tag, potato kickball, and potato soccer. I think they had fun. (but if I'd known I needed to plan 40 minutes of activity I could have at least brought a ball... though using a potato instead was interesting.)


Pre-farm warm-up... drawing battle scenes on the white board.














2 comments:

Jamie said...

Way to improvise! Sounds like you salvaged the trip. (How many kids did you have?!? Did the whole school go?) Too bad you didn't have the materials to make a potato gun. The epic battles on the white board - amazing. And my, what a LOVELY visor :)

HektikLyfe said...

Field trips in my school were few and far between. Fresh air was unheard of. We were couped up even when we had nothing to do. When the instructors would lose their handbooks they would tell us to lay our heads down and "take a nap."

After so many hits on the noggin' with the yardstick taking a nap was inevitable anyway.

I would have love an excuse for an outing like that. In fact, I still do! :)