Friday, July 27, 2007

Enter "The Grappler"
(cue Eye of the Tiger music)


I recently learned from the students that Korea has comic book rental stores. You can rent a comic for about 50 cents. You get to keep it for a day. That's awesome. I just wanted to share another cool Korean idea.

My student Candy wanted to tell me something, but couldn't figure out how. So she wrote down seven Korean words and had me read them. Stan translated for her... "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday." Candy pointed at the word for "Saturday" and with a smile said "Seoul Land" (Seoul Land is an amusement park). I said, "Are you going to Seoul Land on Saturday?" She nodded her head. I replied, "Ah-ssah!" (The closest translation I can think of is "Awesome!" or "Sweet!" or "Yes!"). Somehow, her smile got bigger.

Also, Candy decided I needed to have a turn reading, so she pointed at me and said, "Teacher, read." How can you refuse a request from a cute little girl... I obediently read about Henry and his big dog Mudge.

I have a student whose chosen English name is "Grappler". You know, like a wrestler or fighter. I had forgotten his name (I know, seems impossible with a name like that)... so to remind me, he started attacking and tickling the kid next to him. The other kid was really confused. I understood "Grappler" immediately and quickly shouted his name to prove it.

Interesting cultural note:
In Korea, there is a seperate word for "Hello" when speaking on the telephone. At first, I thought this was strange. But then I remembered the many times people have said "Hello" and I said "Hello" back, only to realize they weren't talking to me, but to their phone. Here, I always know if they are saying hello to a person or to their phone. Another sweet Korean invention.

No comments: