Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Peanut Butter and Basketball


A "special test" for my three special TOEFL girls...

The other day I had a strange craving for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. So I bought everything I would need to make some. Later that day, as I headed to class, I spontaneously grabbed the shopping bag containing all the PB&J stuff.

In class, I decided to use the bag. I pushed two desks together and had Annie and Wendy sit facing each other. I told them that they could only use their right hands. I then placed Joy in a chair with her back to the table (so she couldn't see what was going on). I then told them their goal was to make a sandwich... but there was one rule... Annie and Wendy could only do exactly what Joy told them to do. What followed was hilarious and amazing.

Joy said, "Take a piece of bread."
Wendy and Annie replied, "We can't see it. Tell us to open the plastic bag."
Joy then said, "Open the plastic bag."

The fun continued. I forgot that I'd put some M&Ms in the plastic bag. The girls found them and Joy promptly instructed them to put them on the sandwich.

To mix it up a little, I eventually switched Wendy and Joy. So Wendy was giving the instructions and Joy was helping to make the sandwich.

It took them about 15 minutes, but they successfully made a PBJ&M sandwich and ate it in about 5 seconds.

Great teamwork.
Great communication.
Great use of English.
Great kids.




I've started playing basketball again. I have to play at night because that's when all the college kids play. The court is at a local university and is outdoors, but has lights on a timer.

It's funny, because tonight all these guys were just shooting around. I could tell they wanted to play... finally I stepped up and motioned "4 on 4". They all immediately agreed and we played several great games. It's funny because the guy with no Korean skills had to step up and start the game. That's what I love about basketball, it somehow transcends language.

There are a few differences when playing basketball in Korea.
For one... I hardly ever know the score. I just play. It makes me smile. I'll be playing, a basket is scored and suddenly everyone just freezes in place, bows, and says thank you in Korean. That's when I know the game is over.

There's also an interesting mix of English. "Nice shot" and "Poul" (foul) for example.

Tonight after the game, I talked with a couple of the guys. One of them was a college student named Arthur. He said he was an accounting major and hated it, but it was too late for him to change.

I never learned the name of the other guy I talked with. He was probably in his thirties and was an industrial public health and safety guy. He was on my team the second game (we won) and he said it was the first game he'd ever won. I was amazed. I mean, he wasn't a bad player or anything.

I look forward to further classroom and basketball adventures.

No comments: