Monday, October 1, 2007

A Story About Stella


Stella Part 1
Stella is one of my favorite students. She reminds me a little of my mom... sweet, gentle, and... secretly (or not so secretly) a bit wild.

I gave Stella's class a special assignment... "Bring in your favorite thing and tell us about it."

Linda showed us a postcard collection documenting her world travels.
Holly showed us her little toy owl, a gift from a friend.
Jessica told us about her soccer ball.
The others shared similar things...

And then there was Stella... with a smile she walked to the front of the class. I thought, "Maybe she has a teddy bear, or a favorite notebook."

Instead, Stella showed us a frightening "scream mask" (a very scary ghost mask). In shock, I asked... "Why?"

With a laugh she replied, "Because I like to put it on, sneak up behind my grandmother, and scare her!"

The class loved it. And so did I.




Stella Part 2
I recently corrected Stella's English diary.
Allow me to paraphrase my favorite entry...

"I am going camping, and I will bring my lipstick. You ask why? Because at 2:30am we are going to sneak into the boys' room and use the lipstick to paint their faces!"

This girl is an excellent seemingly shy student. You'd never guess she was such a prankster. I think it's great.

No comments: