Friday, September 28, 2007

Review with a Gentle Soul

Gentle Soul Story 1
I teach a review class. Well, the word teach is a bit of a stretch. Usually, I sit, observe (making certain nobody cheats on their make-up tests), and occasionally help out.

Today, no one came for review class. I essentially had a break. So I decided to sit in the empty classroom and do my own review. I pulled out my Bible and read over some of my study notes.

Suddenly, the door was opened and my director Steve pushed a little girl into the room.

I recognized her immediately. She can be described as shy and gentle. I have helped her in the review class before, but I still don't know her name. She always comes to practice reading. She reads, and I listen and occasionally correct her. When not reading, she rarely speaks, and when she does talk, it's a whisper.

And she is a paradox, because she seems to possess great confidence yet radiates extreme shyness. She maintains steady eye contact and answers softly when asked questions. She reads strongly with little hesitation. She seems to have great patience and wisdom. I am curious about her story... her life.

We read for several minutes, but the bell soon startled her and signaled the end of the review class. I gently said farewell. She smiled and shyly whispered goodbye.

Perhaps, someday I will learn the name of this mysterious little student with the warm and gentle heart.


Gentle Soul Story 2
Today, in one class, we were discussing earthquakes, when Christina (a sweet little girl who sits in the back) suddenly said, "When I'm sick, I like to eat ice-cream!"

I couldn't help it... I laughed a little and said, "Wow, that's great!"

But it was just so funny. I chuckled to myself for several minutes after. I mean, it was just completely out of the blue. I'm still smiling just thinking about it.

What a great kid.

No comments: