Friday, September 14, 2007

MGZ


Awhile back, I asked a class what they thought the scariest thing was. Here's a short list of their responses:
-ghosts
-mosquitos
-mom (this one always surprises me but it is common, the moms here know how to scold)
-penalty paper
-nametags
-girls
-zombies

So I then drew the scariest thing in the world... a girl ghost/zombie with a penalty paper head, a mosquito nose, and a nametag. The kids called this creation... the MGZ (Mosquito Ghost Zombie). For some reason, they loved it and it is spreading across the academy like wildfire. Kids I don't even teach are talking about the MGZ.

So I decided a "special test" (aka educational game) was in order. I created my own version of Maffia. It's called... dun dun dunnnn... M... G... Z...

The MGZ are the "maffia". There is a Farmer who is the "doctor". There is a superhero who is the "Sheriff". And instead of "towns people" I made it a vegetable garden so everyone else is a vegetable.

First I pass out little slips of paper that have the different "jobs" on them. I made 3 MGZs. Then I tell everyone to "go to sleep". They cover their eyes. Then I tell the MGZs to wake up and silently select a "vegetable" to eat. Then I tell them to go to sleep. Then the Farmer can wake up and choose to "save" a vegetable. Then he goes to sleep. Finally the superhero is told to wake up and they get to silently ask if one person is an MGZ. Then everyone is told to wake up. But sadly, one vegetable has been eaten. Everyone then has a chance to make an accusation. The person everyone chooses is then kicked out of the garden. This continues until someone wins.

The vegetables win if they discover and kick out all of the MGZs. The MGZs win if they eat all of the vegetables, scare off the farmer, and defeat the super hero.
It was really fun.

Which brings me to my quote of the day...

Eric1(not to be confused with Eric2) - "Teacher, this is air-conditioner or heater?"

(the classroom air-conditioner just didn't seem to be working.)

Also, later that day, I was teaching a Review class. Usually there are only 2 people, but this day there were about ten. I must have been smiling too much because Jean came in and told me, "You must be very strict in this class. We don't want kids to want to come here. This is a punishment class for not doing homework. You must be a devil to them."

Anyway, the class ended soon after that, so I didn't get a chance to throw erasers or shout a lot. Oh well, there's always next time. :)

***Warning, scary photo below...

Here you go... a student drawn MGZ

2 comments:

Ginny said...

What a creative, memorable teacher you are! I love the mafia game! I bet the kids just loved it and I'm glad they all want to come to your review class (even if they're not supposed to want to). You're touching kids' lives and that is such a gift! Way to go Ryan Teacher!

Anonymous said...

I don't like nametags either.

~ Koh