Saturday, December 12, 2009

I'm Alive


Hey everyone. I'm alive and well. I've just been a bit busy. So busy I haven't been able to pursue my favorite hobby... photography. I keep carrying my camera around with me, but never get a chance to take it out and shoot. The weather is cold, so there haven't been any interesting outdoor activities.

I've been busy planning a trip to Japan. I've also been meeting up with a lot of great friends. Some who I haven't seen in years and suddenly they show up in Korea, it's amazing.

I've also taken up learning an instrument. When I was younger I used to play the flute. I love it's sound. I got a lot of teasing in middle school, but I stayed with my instrument. Unfortunately I didn't have a good flute and didn't have the money to buy a new one, so I eventually gave up playing. However, I now possess the financial means to continue my musical pursuit. I've also found an excellent teacher.

Christmas season is here. It's a strange and somewhat sad time. This will be the 3rd Christmas I've missed with the family. I have no real plans as of yet. Maybe a fancy dinner with friends... I'm not sure.

Last week I made "gingerbread" houses with my students. Everything sounded great, until I learned that cake frosting and graham crackers don't exist in Korea. So with some quick thinking and a trip to costco (yes, they have costco here, no, costco didn't have cake frosting or grahams) we used cookies and peanut butter instead. The kids loved it and I have peanut butter hand-prints on my shirt to prove it.

Some interesting people I've recently met... a Korean who grew up in Malaysia and who now works in Korea for a logging company, a neurosurgeon from Uzbekistan who is doing medical research, a Korean concert pianist who changed her major and studied in Germany for 9 years to become a doctor and then decided she didn't want to be a doctor, a Korean who grew up in New York and who looks exactly like my friend Ko-Ko from University, the really cool husband of my friend who I haven't seen in 8 years, a fashion magazine writer who I showed one of my favorite secret coffee shops, an artist who makes lovely postcard sized ink drawings, and many many more...

Stay tuned for photos. I'm going through camera withdrawal and won't be able to resist much longer. Even if they are dumb pictures taken in my apartment.







2 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

I was just mentioning how concerned I was to my wife, seriously.

Glad to hear you are OK and pursuing other hobbies. If you are as good with the flute as you are with the camera, I'm sure you're amazing.

Somehow the "dumb" pictures taken in your apartment are always great. The shadow ones you took in your bathroom floor were always great.

Great to hear you doing OK.
C-Ya!

lovelyfaith said...

The flute! That makes me wanna play my flute...that i hardly play now. :)