Monday, August 24, 2009

Behind the Scenes... The Traditional Korean Wedding


Lots of pictures, so I'm leaving them small. Click on the ones you like for a slightly bigger picture. I finally got a chance to view the traditional Korean wedding ceremony. Usually it takes place after the western style wedding and is reserved for a small group of family and close friends.

My friend Jin was the one getting married, and he invited me in... so I took off my shoes and jumped around taking pictures. It was cool. There was no translation, so I don't know the significance of many of the things they did... but it was still interesting.

In short...They bowed to and poured tea for both sets of parents and some distinguished aunts and uncles. They also caught some chestnuts (thrown by the groom's mom) in a cloth. The fathers introduced various family members. Next they shook hands and the mothers hugged. Then the groom had to carry the bride on his back around the room... and then he had to carry each of the mothers as well, with the bride running behind. Finally they poured tea for each other and the groom put a chestnut or cake or something in the brides mouth and then had to eat it as well.

It was all pretty interesting. The couple actually met in China while working at a Christian school for Korean immigrants. They look like a happy couple.






































4 comments:

Unknown said...

Piggybacks??? If I hadn't seen the pictures I wouldn't have believed it.

This is a tradition that MUST be incorporated into american weddings ASAP.

ryan said...

I know, isn't it great! We'll have to talk to Dane about it. It seems like it would be good military ninja training for him (or whatever it is he does).

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love all of the bright colors and the traditional clothing! Nice shots Ryan! The groom must have to hope that his mother in law/mother are not heavy people! Might not be able to do that tradition as often in America! :-)
Love you and miss you Ryan!!
Love MOM

Unknown said...

yes, the piggy backing is awesome!