Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm Alive and Kicking... I mean Teaching.


Sorry to those who check here and have found it quite empty of new material. I've been in the process of moving to a new city in Korea and adjusting to a new school. I am now a high school teacher at a public school in Gwangmyeong, Korea. It's quite different from teaching Kindergarten kids and I think I'm going to like it.

Things that are different:
-I have my own desk in the teacher's room
-I have a huge flat screen tv in my classroom to display powerpoints and various multimedia
-I now teach 40 students at a time
-I now have a Korean co-teacher for the entire class period who will translate for me if I ask. (actually I have 4 different co-teachers)
-I don't have to serve and eat lunch with students
-I teach only 3 or 4 classes 50 minutes each per day.
-It's very quiet
-Most of the students wear uniforms
-Teenager love is super funny
-I'm making lots of powerpoints and creative worksheets
-I teach the same thing 14 times a week... which might seem boring, but it allows me to refine my teaching material and skills.
-A lot less stressful, more down time, good for my mental health. I already feel like I have more energy

I've already met many new people and I'm certain I'll meet more.

I hope to have some pics up of my new school soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats, sounds like tons of fun! Good luck on this next adventure...

-T

Anonymous said...

Oh wow....I just stumbled across your blog and I just have to say what a small world! I went to middle school with you (RRMS)and moved away to Korea for high school and I'm a bit shocked that anyone from Southern Oregon would be in Korea. I enjoyed your blog and pictures, you did an amazing job with capturing your korean journey.Its been 4 years since I left Korea and your pictures are a little bittersweet for me because I miss home so much. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Korea! -Angie

Kevin Bennie said...

Wow, so exciting! Sometimes it is hard to take that first step, but I am so glad that it is a bright and good one. Keep on rockin in Korea Town brotha. :)

HektikLyfe said...

Wow so different! I would have thought teaching High School kids would be a LOT more difficult and stressful. I guess its a culture difference.

Good luck and congratulations on the new gig!