Sunday, August 3, 2008

A 1000 km (600 mile) Korean Motorcycle Adventure


I recently had my summer vacation. I wanted to go somewhere awesome. So some cool guys from my biker club decided to help me. It was called "Saving Private Ryan".

They took me all over Korea's east coast. The drive was beautiful and exciting. And the company was great.

I invited my friend Jaime because she also had a break. She did a great job as the trip's official translator. I was able to learn more about these unique Korean men and their lives. And all of us expressed our frustration with languages... they wanted to speak English; I wanted to speak Korean. However, despite the language barrier, we were still able to communicate and have a great time.

We ate the classic Korean BBQ (basically really thick bacon), we cruised the roads, we swam in the ocean, and we talked. These guys accepted me into their group... their team... their family. I was honored.

We went many places that are difficult to reach by bus or train. Because of this, I was often the only foreigner. On one beach, I bought an ice cream from a woman and she told Jaime that I was the first foreigner she had ever sold ice cream to.

On the same beach I saw the funniest thing. A father had both his daughters wearing life jackets. They were also in tubes. And the tubes had long ropes tied to them that went back to mom and dad (see pictures). They really loved their kids.

So much happened, I cannot even begin to put it into words... so here are a few pictures. The pictures are all mixed up and each one has a story. Some of them you must look closely to find me... the white guy in the sea of Asians. Enjoy.







































2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you had loads of fun broseph. I'm glad you got to do that! I love the pictures of the couple that has ropes tied to their kids, that's awesome...I may use that method some day.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ryan!
I've done quite a few things tonight. Nate helped me to get my Skype account. I added you on my friends' list!
I liked the photos of two kids the most! How lovely...
Maybe I can be a good mother like the one in your photos. Have sweet dreams!